Ivy Wed Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I choose a celebrant?

It is a good idea to telephone a few celebrants and talk to them and also to follow up with a visit to get to know them. Celebrants come in all styles and personality and your choice is an important part of your perfect marriage ceremony. I offer a complimentary first visit with no obligation to make a booking at this time.

2. When should I start choosing my celebrant?

I would recommend that you begin choosing your celebrant as soon as possible as often in peak season many celebrants are fully booked 12 months in advance. Also there are legalities to consider with regard to Marriage. And legal paperwork can't be completed more than 18 months in advance of the wedding date. However this does not stop you from booking the celebrant of your choice earlier than this.

3. How do I book a date for my wedding?

When you are ready to formally reserve a date and time you will be asked for a deposit and for couples intending to marry you will be invited to complete the Notice of Intended Marriage. The Notice will then be kept in my care until after the ceremony is performed. After that, it is sent to Births Deaths & Marriages, along with the declaration and certificate of marriage completed on the wedding day. (Sounds complex, I know)

4. What is the Notice of Intended Marriage & what is the time frame for submitting this form?

Notice of Intended Marriage is a document declaring your intent to marry - this form must be received by me no more that 18 months prior to your wedding date and absolutely no less than 1 calendar and 1 day prior to your wedding.

When you see 'Lodged' in reference to completing your NOIM, it simply means that your celebrant has the form in safe keeping. They don't send it anywhere until after the date of the marriage. And they don't share that information with ANYONE.

5. What documents do you need to complete the Notice of Intended Marriage Form?

If you were born in Australia you will need to produce your original birth certificate. Australian passport can NOT be accepted.

If you were born overseas: an international passport.

If you have been married and are no longer married you will need to produce evidence how the marriage ended: In the case of divorce - a divorce order and - in the case of death, a death certificate. If proof of divorce or death is not produced, it is assumed you are still married, therefore another marriage cannot be legalised.

6. How do I obtain my original birth certificate?

If you were born in Australia - contact Births Deaths and Marriages in your state to request a copy. If you were born overseas, you will need to produce your overseas passport. If you don't have an overseas passport, then you will be required to provide your birth certificate and a statutory declaration witnessed by a qualified person. This statutory declaration must declare your birth date and birth place - it must also include details of your parents.

7. If I want to write my own vows and promises, how do I get information??

I have many resources that can help you get started. I also include examples of wedding vows in the draft ceremony. If what you write comes from the heart, then that is far better than anything another person could write.

8. How much will it cost?

I work from an agreed fee with no hidden extras, so you may rest assured that the price quoted will be the price you pay. The price quoted will appear on the Introduction letter that you receive in the first interview, and also in the Invoice I send out to you to confirm the booking. At the time of meeting me, I will give you a Letter of Introduction. This will show you exactly what my fee includes.

For those short on time or on a budget there is also a choice of wedding Package Ceremonies available at a lesser cost.

9. Where can we get married?

Wherever you like....the choice is really up to you. Indoors, outdoors, but check with your celebrant because some of us don't like things that are hazardous to our health...like nude skydiving (both scary for us and terrifying for onlookers :)

10. What sides does bridal party and family members stand on?

Traditionally, the bride's family and guests will sit on the left side while the groom's family and guests sit on the right. If the two sides are going to be uneven you may care to dispense with this practice. Parents of the bride and groom will sit at the front.

But if you don't want to be traditional, don't be. It's your ceremony and just about everything is flexible.

11. What is the Order of the Processional?

This is how everyone is standing when the bride and her attendants enter. This is just a guide, There is flexibility with much of it.

  • * The groom, best man and his attendants will be already in position close to the celebrant
  • * Flowergirl and Ring Bearers
  • * Junior Bridesmaids
  • * Bridesmaids and the Maid/Matron of honour
  • * The bride is escorted, usually by a special someone, or she may choose to walk in by herself

If escorted, the bride traditionally walks on the left side. After the escort indicates that he/she is the person 'giving away' the bride, he / she will move behind the bride (allowing the bride to move closer to the groom) and take a seat on the left hand side.

It is perfectly acceptable for both parents to escort their son and/or daughter on the wedding day if that's what everyone wants. And the Groom can also make an entrance, he doesn't have to wait up the front.

Order of the Recessional

  • * Bride and Groom first
  • * Flower girl and ring bearer next
  • * Maid of honour and best man
  • * Bridesmaids
  • * Family members - bride's mother and groom's father, then Bride's father and groom's mother, then other family members, then guests

And just a note, be prepared when working with small children - sometimes stage fight will happen, or they may simply decide they don't want to do what's expected. Just smile and carry on - they are children and we love them for all those reasons. Above all - Don't Stress - people will probably laugh about it afterwards anyway.

12. Do I wear my engagement ring for the ceremony?

It's up to you. If the ring is part of a set, leave it on. If you prefer to remove it, wear it on the ring finger of your right hand.

13. What are the certificates that are signed at the time of marriage?

  • * A marriage certificate that is forwarded to the office of Births Deaths & Marriages, this is the registered copy.
  • * A marriage certificate that is presented to the married couple, this proves that you married, however it does not provide conclusive evidence of identity & you may be asked to produce a registered copy.
  • * A certificate that is retained by the celebrant, once again this copy is not registered by Births Deaths & Marriages and is for record keeping purposes only.

14. How do I change my name after I am married?

You will need to apply to the Births Deaths & Marriages office in the state that you married & apply for your marriage certificate. You can either do this over the internet, or go into the city and apply over the counter (this is a faster option if you have all the required documentation before you go in.

15. What about a surprise marriage?

Providing that the bride and the groom are surprising the guests, not a problem. However, if you are thinking of surprising your partner, it's not going to happen. BOTH parties are required to have completed a NOIM (Notice of Intended Marriage). And you will need two witnesses older than 18 to sign the legal documents.

16. Can Same Sex Partners Marry?

At the moment, No. Australian Law does not allow marriage of Same Sex Couples. In place of this, many same sex couples choose to celebrate their relationship with a Commitment Ceremony. These ceremonies are not recogonised by Australian Law so no formal documents are required.

17. Can't find the answer to your question?

I am always happy to chat - feel free to give me a call

BH: 0400 119 390
AH: 9733 5290
E-mail: celebrantnicole@gmail.com